Skip to main content

Enrolment for non-EU students with residence abroad and foreign diploma


29th March 2024   Deadline to apply on UNIGEAPPLY for master degree courses taught in English for a.y.      2024/25

Deadlines for master degrees taught in Italian and for bachelor degrees have not been established yet. As soon as they are available they will be published on this web page.


  7th July 2023Deadline to pre-enroll on the website
for a bachelor/ master degree course or for single subjects taught in the 1^st semester
 31st August 2023Deadline to upload on any missing document requested to students through personalized email.
The deadline does not refer to either Declaration of Value (DOV) or legalized documents for which students have time until December 2023
From 1st August until 16th October 2023Requests to change pre-enrollment from another University
15th December 2023Deadline to pre-enroll on the website
for single subjects taught in the 2^nd semester
31st January 2024Last deadline for arrival in Italy e enrollment

Before coming to Italy

If you are a non-EU student with residence abroad and a foreign diploma and you want to enroll at the University of Genoa, please pursue the following steps:

  • Submit your pre-enrollment on the Universitaly website within 7th July 2023, choosing the University of Genoa and the course you want to apply for.
  • If the University of Genoa accepts your application, contact the Italian Embassy or Consulate that you indicated in the pre-enrollment for the issue of study visa.
  • Refer to the Italian Embassy or Consulate for Italian translation and legalization of your diploma and for the issue of Declaration of Value.
  • If you would like to enroll in a master degree course taught in English, from February 20th, 2023 you have to apply for pre-assessment on dedicated portal. Link will be available at this page.
  • As soon as you receive user name and password from the International Students Office, or within the deadlines indicated for restricted access courses, complete the pre-enrollment on UNIGE website:
  • DO NOT create autonomously user name and password. PLEASE wait to receive them by email from Welcome Office.
  • Watch the SLIDES which explains you how to pre-enroll and read carefully the SUMMARY of the application process

For further information please check the MUR website

If you choose a course with admission test and limited access

If you apply for a course among Medicine and Surgery, School of Dental Medicine or Sciences of Architecture, you must also register for the admission test on the con Universitaly website.

Once you arrive in Italy

Once you have arrived in Italy you have to contact the Welcome Office to which you will need to hand over all the paperwork related to your diploma in order to complete your enrollment. (If you have applied for a degree course with admission and limited access, you have to pay the admission test fee first). All the documents can be provided by email. For further information, please contact the Welcome Office.

Documents you have to submit

In order for you to enroll in the University of Genoa you have to submit the following documents:

  • your diploma, in the original or in a certified copy, already legalised by the Embassy or by the Consulate
  • the Italian translation of your diploma issued by the Embassy or the Consulate OR translated by an official translator and then certified by the Embassy or the Consulate or approved by the Italian Court. The Italian translation is not necessary if the document is issued in English, French, Spanish or Portuguese
  • the Declaration of Value of your diploma, issued by the Embassy or the Consulate
  • any certificate attesting your successful completion of the admission test – if any – required by the university of your country.

If you have obtained a diploma after less than 12 years of school:

  • an academic certificate attesting the successful completion of the exams scheduled for the 1st year or for the first two years of your degree study programme
  • an official Italian or foreign post-secondary diploma obtained in a higher education institution – universities excluded - subjects
  • any certificate issued by an Italian University attesting the successful completion of foundation courses.

These documents should attest the attendance to courses during at least one or two years, according to whether your country has a 10-year or an 11-year education system.

If you want to apply for a master’s degree course, besides your bachelor’s degree, you also have to submit:

  • the original certificate attesting all the teaching units you have attended and all the exams you have passed approved by the Embassy or the Consulate
  • the course contents and the study programmes of the teaching units included in your degree course duly certified by the University
  • an Italian official translation of the certificate as well as of the single units’ study programmes, unless they are issued in English, French, Spanish or Portuguese.

If you choose to apply for a single teaching unit

You have to pre-enroll at the Italian Embassy or Consulate where you will also have to submit your grade transcript, or your diploma, or any other document issued by your Faculty for its translation, legalization and issue of the declaration of value.

Check out the teaching units

Places allocation

Every year each degree course reserves some places for non-EU students with residence abroad.
Click the following link 

Italian language test

If you obtained your high school diploma abroad you must take the Italian language test, except if you choose a course entirely taught in English.
For further information, please visit the Italian Language Test.

Italian degree

Students who obtain an Italian degree can ask for the accreditation status of their academic qualification at CIMEA (Information Centre on Academic Mobility and Equivalence).

Useful information

If you need help to find accommodation, to obtain the residence permit as well as the Italian fiscal code, or if you need information about healthcare, bus passes or university canteens, or about how to open a new bank account, please contact Welcome Office.

For further information about entry visas, stay permits and the enrolment for foreign students in a degree course of higher education for the a.y. 2023-2024, visit MUR

Study in Italy


Last update 23/01/2024