6 credits during the 3nd year of 9916 ENVIRONMENTAL AND NATURAL SCIENCES (L-32) GENOVA
6 credits during the 1st year of 11162 INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS (LM-52) GENOVA
The course provides a theoretical framework to analyze the process of decision-making in the environmental sector and the use of policy instruments in relation to specific cases of environmental resource management and economic activities that produce serious impacts on the environment
Knowledge and understanding.
Students should acquire adequate knowledge of the relationship between environmental protection, economic efficiency and market failure.
Applying knowledge and understanding.
Students should be able to understand and critically evaluate the role of public and environmental policies aimed at orienting and regulate markets and economic agents toward the goal of the economic and environmental sustainability.
Topics covered include:
- The Environmental Economics
- Scarcity, resource allocation and optimization
- Non-renewable resources: intertemporal models for optimal extraction
- Policies for renewable resources. Substitutability of natural capital and scarcity
- sustainable development and growth patterns
- Efficiency and control of environmental problems
- Environmental externalities and pollution
- Economic and fiscal instruments for environmental control
- Economic analysis and collective action for decision-making purposes
- Economic evaluation techniques for assessing social costs and benefits
- Intergenerational equity
- Environmental impact assessment, strategic environmental assessment and the multi-criteria techniques
Methodologies considered are:
- Hedonic prices
- Contingent valuation
- Choice experiment
- Deliberative democracy and other no-market approaches
Ricevimento: Tuesday 14-16 (Office n.19, 1st flor, Department of Economics - Darsena) Any changes due to possible health emergency restrictions will be promptly communicated by the teacher through the Aulaweb platform.
BARBARA CAVALLETTI (President)
L'orario di tutti gli insegnamenti è consultabile su EasyAcademy.
The assessing methods for the learning outcomes consist in workshops, exercises, and group work, during the lectures