GENERAL PHYSICS 1
Lectures will be held in Italian.
Understanding the fundamental laws of mechanics and thermodynamics. Ability to solve problems related to course topics.
AIMS AND LEARNING OUTCOMES
The aim is to acquire a sufficient understanding of the physical laws describing classical mechanics and equilibrium thermodynamics. The student must become proficient in analyzing and solving problems concerning the topics covered in classes, and to acquire a good level of comprehension of the theoretical framework in which the discussed physical laws are embedded.
The standard math pre-requisites of a second year student (geometry, trigonometry, calculus, vectors, matrices) are all that is needed to study this class.
The course is meant for students with little to no previous knowledge of physics. We will focus on identifying the symmetries and ensuing conservation laws which often allow to ease the understanding of physical phenomena and the related problems.
The syllabus is as follows
- Point mass kinematics;
- Forces, statics and dynamics of point masses: Newton's laws;
- Work, work-energy theorem, conservative forces, potential energy;
- Angular momentum and torque;
- Statics and dynamics of systems of point masses: fundamental laws of mechanics;
- Scattering between point masses;
- Rigid bodies: statics and dynamics.
- Temperature, extensive variables, equilibrium states of a thermodynamical system;
- Heat, work and internal energy: the first law of thermodynamics;
- Perfect gases, comments on the kinetical theory of perfect gases;
- Reversible and irreversible thermodynamical processe, main transformations of a perfect gas;
- Thermal machines, irreversible transformations: the second law of thermodynamics;
- Remarks on phase transitions of the first kind.
See Italian section.
Ricevimento: By appointment, either by internal phone/email, or after classes.
FABIO CAVALIERE (President)
GIOVANNI RIDOLFI (President Substitute)
PAOLO SARACCO (Substitute)
The class will start according to the academic calendar.
L'orario di tutti gli insegnamenti è consultabile su EasyAcademy.
Written and oral examination
The student must solve a series of physics problems concerning the topics covered during the classes: this will allow to assess the ability to identify the key physical laws and their role in describing physical phenomena. If the written examination earns at least a sufficient mark, the ensuing oral examination will assess the understanding of the theoretical framework underlying the discussed physical laws.
Teaching style: in presence.