AIMS AND LEARNING OUTCOMES
Provide the student with the necessary knowledge to deal with the study of the motion of bodies within viscous fluids.
1. Kinematics. Eulerian and Lagrangian description, material derivative. Local analysis of the deformation. Principle of mass conservation.
2. Dynamics. The tension tensor. Momentum principle, momentum moment principle. The theorem of mechanical power.
3. The equations of motion of viscous fluids. The constitutive relation for a Newtonian fluid, continuity and Navier Stokes equations. Boundary conditions.
4. Exact solutions of Navier-Stokes equations. Unidirectional flows.
5. Vorticity and simplified models for the study of fluid motion. Vorticity equation. Introduction on the mechanisms of production and evolution of vorticity. The scheme of the ideal fluid. The scheme of irrotational flow. D'Alembert paradox. Two-dimensional irrotational motions. Kutta-Joukowsky theorem.
6. Flow field and forces on bodies in motion in a fluid. Resistance and lift. Lift of slender bodies: the Kutta hypothesis. Added mass force. Induced resistance. Morison equation. Flow field generated by a cylinder translating with constant velocity.
7. Flow at high Reynolds numbers. Simplified equations of the boundary layer. Blasius solution. Von Karman integral equation. Boundary layer on flat plate in the laminar and in the turbulent regime. Transition to turbulence in the boundary layer. Separation of the boundary layer and introduction to the the control systems of the boundary layer.
8. Turbulent flows. Average speed and pressure, the Reynolds equations. The problem of closure and Boussinesq hypothesis. Wall turbulence. Introduction to RANS turbulence models
Teacher's notes (downloadable from AulaWeb)
Ronald Panton "Incompressible flow" Wiley and Sons
Pijush K. Kundu, Ira M. Cohen and David R. Dowling "Fluid Mechanics - fifth edition" Elsevier 2012
G. K. Batchelor "An introduction to fluid dynamics" Cambridge university press
Ricevimento: by appointment, to be fixed by sending an email to the teacher.
GIOVANNA VITTORI (President)
ILARIA MONETTO (President)
The lectures follow the calendar of the polytechnic school.
|12/02/2020||08:30||GENOVA||Scritto + Orale|
|26/02/2020||08:30||GENOVA||Scritto + Orale|
|17/06/2020||08:30||GENOVA||Scritto + Orale|
|08/07/2020||08:30||GENOVA||Scritto + Orale|
|02/09/2020||08:30||GENOVA||Scritto + Orale|