ENERGY SYSTEMS AND ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT
The aim of the course is to provide an adequate knowledge in the field of energy systems and environmental impact of power generation. The main design and operating aspects of the most important power plant systems are described, including combustion processes and pollutant emissions formation processes. Energy systems performance are analyzed taking also into account economic aspects.
AIMS AND LEARNING OUTCOMES
At the end of the course the student should achieve a basic knowledge about the operation of energy systems and the related environmental impact. He will be able to calculate the main performance of energy systems and fluid machines.
Lectures and practice.
- Fundamentals for the study of energy systems - Power plants and relevant application areas -Thermodynamic cycles, overall efficiency and specific fuel consumption - Economic aspects, cost-efficiency trade-off in power plants.
- Steam power plants – Steam cycles - Methods to improve the cycle performance: regeneration, superheating, re-heating – Steam cycle components: boiler, steam turbines, condenser, pumps, heat exchangers - Steam power plants control - Combined cycles, heat recovery steam generator.
- Hydraulic power plants – General aspects, use of water energy – Rainfalls and exploitation of hydraulic potentials - Types of hydraulic power plants: basin, flowing water and pumping plants - Hydraulic turbines – Specific rotational speed.
- Environmental aspects of power generation - Emissions and environment: constituents of the atmosphere, meteorological phenomena, transport and diffusion of pollutants in the atmosphere - Chemical, thermal and noise pollution - Environmental impact of steam power plants, emission control systems and aftertreatment devices.
- Environmental friendly propulsion systems – General overview on problems, legislation and possible actions – CO2 emission reduction in thermal engines: downsizing concept and related technologies, mechanical losses reduction, cylinders de-activation, advanced cooling systems – Advanced fuel injection systems for Spark Ignition (SI) and Diesel engines – Valve control systems in ICE: Variable Valve Timing (VVT) and Variable Valve Actuation (VVA) systems, developed applications, control strategies, use in SI and diesel engines, effect on fuel consumption and exhaust emissions.
- Alternative fuels – Conventional gaseous fuels (NG, LPG): problems, energy-related, operating and economic issues, effect on exhaust emissions – Hydrogen and hydrogen-methane mixtures for thermal engine powertrains – Biofuels: types, legislation, production techniques, effects on fuel consumption and exhaust emissions – Well-to-wheel energy analysis and CO2 emission overall balance.
- Innovative propulsion systems – Fuel cell application to propulsion systems: general overview on the electrochemical conversion process, fuel cell types and characteristics, operating problems, performance, energy and emissive balance, applications, technical and economic issues, future developments. - Electric propulsion: advantages/disadvantages, performance, operating range, costs, energy storage devices characteristics - Hybrid propulsion: hybrid system configurations, hybrid categories (start-&-stop, micro, mild, full hybrid systems), characteristics and limits of operating configurations, production vehicles, global energy and emissive balance, future developments.
- Calculation of energy systems operating parameters.
- Examples of operational design.
- M. Capobianco, S. Marelli - “Energy systems and environmental impact” – Notes to the course.
- R. Della Volpe – Macchine – Liguori, 2011.
- A. Clup - Principles of energy conversion - McGraw-Hill.
- S.L.Dixon - Fluid Mechanics Thermodynamics of Turbomachinery - Pergamon Press, 2005.
- M. Bianchi, A. De Pascale, A. Gambarotta, A. Peretto – Sistemi Energetici: Impatto Ambientale – Pitagora, 2008.
Ricevimento: Consulting hours on demand sending an e-mail to email@example.com.
GIORGIO ZAMBONI (President)
SILVIA MARELLI (President)
MASSIMO CAPOBIANCO (President)
Lectures and practice.
According to the calendar published by the Polytechnic School.
L'orario di tutti gli insegnamenti è consultabile su EasyAcademy.
Oral exam on the topics presented during the lessons and exercises.
- Basic thermodynamic and fluid dynamics knowledge.