CHEMISTRY AND TECHNOLOGY OF DEPURATION PROCESSES
Lectures and exercises
The course deals with the depuration processes (e.g. physical, chemical, chemical-physical and biological water treatments) used to remove the main water and wastewater pollutants. Traditional and emerging (e.g. membrane processes) water treatments depending on the end-use (domestic, industrial and agricultural).
Particular attention will be devoted to process integration in order to improve water management (recycle and reuse). Description of the processes for drinking water. The course will give the fundamental basics and principles for selecting and designing a plant for pollutant removal from wastewater. Details of the physical, chemical, chemical-physical and biological water treatments will be given. Membrane processes for drinking water, industrial water and wastewater. Case studies and economical considerations.
- Background refresh: state equations, settling velocity in laminar and turbulent regime, Henry's law, inter-phase mass transfer, kinetics.
- Water pollution. Water cycle. Water accessibility, distribution and classifications. Superficial and underground water. Chemical and Chemical-physical characteristics of drinking and industrial water.ÂÂ Sources ofÂÂ pollution, domestic wastewater, industrial wastewater
- Depuration of surface water: pollution due to organic compounds, hydrocarbons or heavy metals.
- Drinking water treatment. Potabilization, coagulation and flocculation, filtration, sedimentation, disinfection, membrane treatments.
- Treatment of civil and industrial watswater. Description of the involved phenomena and chemistry and equipment sizing. Primary, secondary and tertiary treatments. Preliminary operations (homogeneization, equalization). Prysical and mechanical treatments (sedimentation, flotation, filtration, aeration).
Biological depuration: COD and BOD removal, Trickle bed, biodisks, activated sludge, nitrification and denitrification, membrane bioreactors. Start-up and troubleshooting.
Chemical and Physical-Chemical treatments. Neutralization, precipitation, redox treatments, coagulation annd flocculation, adsorption and ion exchange. Other emerging processes. Membrane processes: MF, UF, NF, RO. Disinfection chemistry and processes.
Development of integrated processes.
-Treatment and sludge disposal: thickening, dehydratation, aerobic and anaerobic digestion, thermal treatments.
- Basics on the treatment of polluted air emissions
- Metcalf & Eddy, Ingegneria delle Acque Reflue - trattamento e riuso, McGraw-Hill, 2005 or Metcalf & Eddy, Wastewater Engineering - Treatment And Reuse. Fourth Edition, McGraw-Hill, 2004
- G. Bianucci, E. Ribaldone Bianucci, Il Trattamento delle Acque Inquinate, Quinta Edizione, Hoepli, Milano, 1998
- G. Bianucci, E. Ribaldone Bianucci, Il Trattamento delle Acque Residue Industriali e Agricole, Hoepli, Milano, 1996
- R. Vismara, Depurazione Biologica, Hoepli, Milano, 1988
- U. Wiesmann, I. S. Choi, E.-M. Dombrowski, Fundamentals of Biological Wastewater Treatment, Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, 2007
- D. L. Russell, Practical Wastewater Treatment, John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken (NJ), 2006
Ricevimento: On appointment fixed by email or phone call
ANTONIO COMITE (President)
Lectures and exercises
L'orario di tutti gli insegnamenti è consultabile su EasyAcademy.
The commission is composed of two components and one of them is the teacher of the course. THe duration of the examination is not less than 30 min. In this way the commission is able to verify the achievement of the learning outcomes. If the learning outcomes will be not achieved the student is invited to study again and better following some teacher suggestions and explanations.