LABORATORY OF ORGANIC CHEMISTRY
- Basic safety principles in the organic chemistry laboratory.
- How to keep a notebook.
- Methods for separation and purification of organic compounds, including basic theoretical principles: extraction, crystallization, distillation (simple, fractional, reduced pressure distillation, steam distillation, azeotropes), sublimation, column chromatography, thin layer chromatography.
- Analytical methods: melting point, optical rotation power.
- Redox reactions in organic chemistry: how to balance them.
- Description of the laboratory experiments: theory of the reactions and, in particular, practical aspects of the laboratory procedures will be surveyed.
- Laboratory experiments on purification methods and on syntheses of compounds. Determination of melting points, optical rotation power, diastereomeric ratio through gas chromatopgraphy coupled with MS or FID. Recording of IR and NMR spectra of the prepared compounds.
Ricevimento: I'm available every day of the week. Please, contact me before by e-mail for an appointment.
RENATA RIVA (President)