The course aims to prepare students for engineering and management careers in healthcare private and public facilities/ industries, Health care Authorities (Regional and Central).
AIMS AND LEARNING OUTCOMES
The course is designed to introduce management concepts and tools for both reducing healthcare system costs and increasing the quality of healthcare, and to facilitate a better understanding between biomedical engineers and medical doctors.
Modules and brief description:
Introduction to the Italian NHS System: A System within Systems
Health care facilities (HCF) Management like a Company : Economics and Financial factors. The HCF Hospital Sustainability: how to calculate the hospital significant impact on the environment and economy of the surrounding community.
HCF location Planning and Optimization: how to calculate the hospital land requirements starting from few data like inpatients length of care, surgeries and treatments
Engineering economics in healthcare: how to estimate and calculate the preliminary hospital construction costs (in terms of civil works, plants, and biomedical equipment ) and relevant running costs.
Principles of hospital design: students will learn how to design the general layout of an hospital and the specific services units
Hospital waste management in hospitals: Italian legislation and rules
Case Studies: Students will learn about hospitals success cases studies in Italy and will visit an HCF in Genoa.
The program includes also :
- An off-site visit to an HCF in Genoa
- A “lectio magistralis” by selected preeminent Personalities of the HC world
- A classwork written test (the content varies every year and is made on regard of the arguments treated)
Attendance is strongly suggested
The Coursebook is “Ingegneria per la Sanita” by Stefano Scillieri , Editor Flaccovio.
The book will be integrated with the slides projected during the lessons and given to the students attending the course.
Office hours: Professor meets students prior appointment via email : firstname.lastname@example.org
GAETANO STEFANO SCILLIERI (President)
Written test (weights 30% on the total final Final oral exam (weights 70% on the total final score)
The relevant max score is 30/30
Written test score 20/30, oral test score 30/30, final score 27/30
The final exam will be about discussed during the lessons, the content of the “Lectio magitralis” and the field visits.
Very important for the final evaluation will be the presentation effectiveness and the proper terminology used by the Student.
During the oral exam, it could be discussed also the result of the work test (which is mandatory to be admitted to the theory exam).
The attendance and active participation to the course shall be also one of the basic indirect element of evaluation.
Areas of assessment
During the classwork written test and mainly during the oral exam the students will have to show their knowledge on Clinical Engineering, and specifically, be able to:
- Work on Hospital dimensioning requirements (the Hospital itself and the piece of land needed) starting from basic available data; to determine preliminary construction and running costs.
- Understand the general lay out of an Hospital: rough general outline, main areas ( medical and non-medical), furniture and biomedical equipment
- Understand the concept of an Hospital project planning: from the design to the construction
- Understand what HTA ( Health Technology assessment) is
- Describe the fundamentals of the Global Service of biomedical equipment.
- Evaluate the profit and loss statement of a public or private healthcare structure knowing that public structures, according to the criteria of the Italian Law, are managed as a Corporation.
- Describe the principles of the hospital waste management
|22/01/2018||14:00||GENOVA||Orale||21/12/2017 - Aula E0 22/01/2018 - Aula E2 12/02/2018 - Aula E2 18/06/2018 - Aula E0 02/07/2018 - Aula E0 27/07/2018 - Aula E0 14/09/2018 - Aula A5|
|12/02/2018||14:00||GENOVA||Orale||21/12/2017 - Aula E0 22/01/2018 - Aula E2 12/02/2018 - Aula E2 18/06/2018 - Aula E0 02/07/2018 - Aula E0 27/07/2018 - Aula E0 14/09/2018 - Aula A5|
|18/06/2018||14:00||GENOVA||Orale||21/12/2017 - Aula E0 22/01/2018 - Aula E2 12/02/2018 - Aula E2 18/06/2018 - Aula E0 02/07/2018 - Aula E0 27/07/2018 - Aula E0 14/09/2018 - Aula A5|